South 85 Journal accepts general submissions from January 15 to April 15 for its Summer issue through Submittable: https://south85.submittable.com/submit/106026/spring-summer-2018-fiction. Manuscripts should be sent as an attachment.
• Fiction submissions should be between 2000 and 5000 words. Please include the word count in an upper corner of the first page. For fiction that is under 850, please consider submitting during our yearly flash fiction contest.
• Non-fiction submissions should be no longer than 6000 words. Please include the word count in your email.
• Poetry submissions should contain no more than 4 poems up to 8 total pages, one poem per page.
• Please send only one submission per category (Poetry, Fiction, and Non-Fiction) during each reading period. You are welcome to submit to multiple categories.
• We will publish flash fiction, short stories, and novel excerpts, provided they can stand on their own. We do not publish genre fiction or children’s stories.We encourage you to read archives of South 85 Journal and acquaint yourself with the material we publish before submitting your work.
• Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
• Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
• Number pages consecutively, double space, and use margins of at least one inch.
• Place your name, email address, and word count in an upper corner of the first page.
• We accept simultaneous submissions. If it is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your work via Submittable.
• Please include a professional bio of 50 words or fewer written in the third person with your cover letter.
Submissions for the annual Julia Peterkin Literary Awards are open from June 1 to August 15 (on hiatus for 2021) Full submissions guidelines for our contest can be found here: Julia Peterkin Literary Awards. Winners and finalists in each category will be published in the winter issue of South 85 Journal.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks.
We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We are unable to pay for submissions. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South 85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved.
Blog Submissions: We accept unsolicited blog submissions about any aspect of the writing life, including balancing writing with life responsibilities, the trials and tribulations of completing an MFA, the joys and sorrows of publication, and writing in these current times. Send query to South85Journal@gmail.com
Book Reviews: If you have a book you’d like to review for the journal, please send an email with “Book Review” as the subject line to our email address at South85Journal@gmail.com