South 85 Journal accepts general submissions of poetry from August 1 to October 15 and February 1 to April 15 via Submittable: https://south85.submittable.com/submit/106024/spring-summer-2018-poetry.
• Manuscript should be sent as an attachment.
• Poetry submissions should contain no more than 4 poems up to 8 pages, one poem per page.
• Please send only one submission per category (Poetry, Fiction, and Non-Fiction) during each reading period. You are welcome to submit to more than one category.
• We accept all styles and forms of poetry and are open to new, fresh voices. However, we do encourage you to read archives of South 85 Journal and acquaint yourself with the material we publish before submitting your work.
• Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
• Multiple works should be submitted as a single document, with page breaks and titles to indicate where one poem ends and the next begins.
• Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
• Number pages consecutively, and use margins of at least one inch.
• Place your name and email address in an upper corner of the first page.
• We accept simultaneous submissions. If a particular poem is accepted elsewhere, inform us by adding a note to your submission in Submittable. If you would like to withdraw your entire submission, you can do so through Submittable.
Please include a professional bio of 50 words or fewer written in the third person.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks.
We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We are unable to pay for submissions. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South 85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved.